I want to make these and eat them every day for the rest of my life…and I don’t think I will be sick of them.
These scones are so tasty without any guilt! The whole wheat pastry flour keeps these scones light and fluffy while delivering tons of fiber and essential breakfast nutrients. The dates, candied ginger and cranberries give it the perfect amount of sweetness so there is NO need for added sugar. Using applesauce makes these scones low in fat as well. Win, win, win, WIN!
You can make a big batch and freeze them so you can pop them in the microwave or oven for a quick warm up and a delicious morning!
6 dates, pitted
1/4 cup candied ginger
1/3 cup cranberries
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
heavy sprinkle of nutmeg and cardamom
1/4 cup vegan butter or coconut oil (cold)
1/4 cup applesauce (unsweetened)
1. Heat oven to 375 and grease a baking sheet. In a microwave safe bowl add dates, water, cranberries and ginger. Microwave for 1 minute and let sit.
2. In a large bowl, mix all dry ingredients. Add in butter in pieces and mix with fork until grainy. There should not be big pieces of butter left.
3. Drain and reserve water from the date, ginger and cranberries (the water will have absorbed some of the sweetness so don’t use new water). Add applesauce and water to dried mixture and mix lightly.
4. Chop dates, ginger and cranberries. On a clean and lightly floured surface knead fruit into flour mixture.
5. Flatten out scone mixture on baking sheet and cut into 8 even triangles.
6.Bake for 20-30 mins or until golden brown.
7.Let cool then dig in!